[cups.bugs] [HIGH] STR #3628: Epson Stylus Photo RX620 - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.5 pstoraster crashes

Kevin R. Bulgrien kbulgrien at att.net
Tue Jul 27 22:15:33 PDT 2010

[STR New]

Driver:	Epson Stylus Photo RX620 - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.5 (color) as
deployed on Mandriva 2010.1 (Spring) always fails with:

E [27/Jul/2010:22:07:11 -0500] PID 9781 (/usr/lib/cups/filter/pstoraster)
crashed on signal 11!
E [27/Jul/2010:22:08:44 -0500] [Job 13] Job stopped due to filter errors;
please consult the error_log file for details.

Though the failure occurs, the system continues to forge ahead and print,
but the output page is garbage... with at least one time the page getting
printed all black.  I have tried various things including deleting the
printer, re-adding it, etc.

A log of two sessions that experienced this issue is submitted.  One with
debugging off and one with it on.  I cancelled job 14 after the crash
status came through because printing all black pages is a budget killer.

The "simplified" version of the driver works fine: Driver: Epson Stylus
Photo RX620 - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.5 Simplified (color)

In this case the printer is network attached (lpr/lpd) via a DP-301-U
print server.  Older versions and an identical setup of CUPS and the
gutenprint driver work great (CUPS+Gutenprint v5.1.7) on this same
hardware.  I encountered the problem while "upgrading" the system from
Mandriva 2009.0 to 2010.1.

In almost all cases, the test print job was the CUPS test page that is
printed using the web interface, though a couple of times Firefox was used
to print the CUPS job status page.

$ rpm -qa | egrep "(cups)|(guten)|(ijs)"
cups-1.4.3-3mdv2010.1
gutenprint-ijs-5.2.5-1mdv2010.1
libijs1-0.35-71.1mdv2010.1
gutenprint-foomatic-5.2.5-1mdv2010.1