CUPS server error

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Fri Jul 30 09:50:37 PDT 2010

OK, did some checking and URI schemes cannot contain the underscore in the name; RFC 3986 specifies that schemes start with a letter and are followed by letters, numbers, "+", "-", or ".".

Since the backend name is the scheme name for CUPS device URIs, you need to rename the backend to something like "custom-usb" or (better) "vendorname-usb" or "seriesname-usb" where "vendorname" is your company name and "seriesname" is the series of printers you are supporting, e.g. "imagerunner-usb"...