[cups.general] Number of pages unknown

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Wed Jun 2 08:31:29 PDT 2010

On Jun 2, 2010, at 1:11 AM, akosh wrote:
> the Cups printing system does not indicate the number of pages that are printed by a user. the column for pages shows unknown and i would like to know the number of pages printed, how do i set this up?

CUPS generally depends on the driver you use to provide the page count information. Not all drivers produce PAGE: messages that allow the scheduler to track the number of pages printed.

For network printers we do try to use SNMP to gather the actual page count from the device as well.  However, for non-network printers and network printers that do not support SNMP you have to depend on the driver producing the PAGE: messages.