[cups.general] CUPS Default Font Choice

Jeff Hardy hardyjm at potsdam.edu
Thu Jun 3 12:23:55 PDT 2010

Hello,

I recently stood up a CUPS 1.4 machine and noticed shortly thereafter
that the default font had changed from Courier to Monospace.  Looking
through older CUPS installs, I noticed that Courier seemed to be the
default on CUPS 1.1, 1.2, and 1.3.  In my case, we have a large number
of reports and such that are based on this font, and I will now need to
forward-port this font set going forward.

For anyone else who needs to do this, it is straightforward:

1) Copy the old Courier fonts into the CUPS fonts directory, typically
/usr/share/cups/fonts

2) Copy the old utf-8 charset file into the CUPS charsets directory,
typically /usr/share/cups/charsets

If anyone knows of a better method, or any problems caused by the above,
please correct me.  I have seen none myself.  Also, I was wondering what
the reasons for the change were.

-Jeff

--
Jeff Hardy