[cups.general] Introducing Apple's Bonjour or mDNSresponder into Linux

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 04:54:14 PDT 2010

On 06/15/2010 10:46 AM, Tim Waugh wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-06-14 at 20:19 +0200, Till Kamppeter wrote:
>> I would like to introduce Apple's free DNS-SD software into Linux, so
>> that I get full DNS-SD functionality for CUPS 1.4. See
>>
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cups/+bug/465916
>
> Hi Till,
>
> I have been trying to get Avahi support working for CUPS, but have
> recently not had time to look at it.  As Michael Sweet indicated that
> full Avahi support is planned for CUPS 1.5.x, and as Avahi is already
> present and used in most/all Linux distributions, I wonder if a better
> approach would be to help complete the native Avahi support.
>
> Tim.

Is there already some start available for the Avahi support? I know that
there is the Red Hat patch for the dnssd backend, but is there already a
start for the CUPS daemon? Mike did you already work on it in 1.5? Tim,
did you already start to work on the 1.4 CUPS daemon? Is there already
available code?

    Till