[cups.general] EPL2 v1.3 (OS X 10.5) vs.EPL2 v1.4 (OS X 10.6) & Zebra label printer

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Tue Jun 22 12:27:56 PDT 2010

On Jun 22, 2010, at 7:39 AM, Colin wrote:
> I have a Zebra label printer conencted to my iMac via USB with the CUPS EPL2 v1.3 driver. It works fine. On my MacMini I've OS X (10.6) that comes with CUPS EPL2 v1.4. Printing a label from my database on the iMac is quick. However, printing labels from the same database on the MacMini to the same printer, also conencted via USB, behaves differently - the label prints as quickly as on the iMac but the printer takes ages (~30sec) to clear the print job from its queue before it can print another label.
>
> Any ideas - please?
>
> Before I change back to 10,5 on the MacMini is there someway I can copy the EPL2 v1.3 driver to the MacMini to test?

There actually is no difference between the CUPS 1.3 and CUPS 1.4 label printer drivers. I suspect this is more an issue with the USB backend in 10.6 - make sure you have updated to the current update (10.6.4) and if that doesn't clear things up please file a bug at:

    http://bugreport.apple.com

We've had a few USB printing bugs crop up in 10.6, so it is possible you are running into one of them...