Postscript prints as text when coming from app, but OK when coming from file.

upscope upscope at nwi.net
Sun Jun 27 13:07:09 PDT 2010

Helge Blischke wrote:

> upscope wrote:

>>> Thank you, Helge, for the suggestion.  Unfortunately, it didn't show
>>> anything we didn't already know.
>>>
>>> I requested two jobs, one a simple Postscript file which printed
>>> correctly and a print request from Firefox which printed as source
>>> text.  The debug output from the two were identical until about a
>>> hundred lines down.
>>>
>>> First, argv[0]-argv[6] are displayed then envp[0]-envp[24].  It
>>> includes this line: D [07/Jan/2010:15:02:52 +0500] [Job 17]
>>> envp[21]="CONTENT_TYPE=application/postscript" Then the comments and
>>> prolog are examined and then the argv and envp lines are repeated,
>>> but this time the line looks like this:
>>>
>>> D [07/Jan/2010:15:02:52 +0500] [Job 17]
>>> envp[21]="CONTENT_TYPE=text/plain"
>>>
>>> For the file which worked, all of the debug lines are identical, but
>>> the content type remains application/postscript.  No indication is
>>> given as to why the content type should change for the one case but
>>> not the other.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, I do not have a URL to post the logs to.  But I have
>>> extracted the parts containing just these two jobs and they are
>>> quite small.  I can email them to whoever would like to look at
>>> them.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance for any help.
>>> Bob W.
>>
>> I am having a similar problem with my Xerox Phaser 6120.It has been
>> occuring since the previous version of Cups and openSUSE 11.1 (on 11.2
>> now) See below. It happens when I try to print a web page from
>> Konqueror. The printer prints an error page
>>
>>  "Error Status"
>> Error Name is :syntaxerror
>> Offending operator: )
>> Error info string: --nostringval--
>> VM remaining: 33486761
>> For detailed information: Refer to PostScript Language Reference
>> Manual. Third Addition
>>
>> Then has sections with Operand Stack, Execution Stack and Dictionary
>> Stack. Not sure how to interpret the data. Also has section Program
>> Continuation: section. Not sure what it means either.
>>
>> cups-drivers-1.3.9-4.1.x86_64
>> python-cups-1.9.42-5.1.x86_64
>> cups-client-1.3.11-4.2.1.x86_64
>> python-cupshelpers-1.1.12-2.1.x86_64
>> cups-devel-1.3.11-4.2.1.x86_64
>> cups-libs-1.3.11-4.2.1.x86_64
>> cups-1.3.11-4.2.1.x86_64
>> cups-libs-32bit-1.3.11-4.2.1.x86_64
>>
>> If you find a cure, please post it.
>
> This is obviously a completely different issue. Please open a new thread
> and tell more about your configuration (how the printer is configured
> etc.).
>
> Helge
Helge thanks for response. I not running with openSUSE 11.2 right now, I
lost my whole home directory and my seperate backup drive yesterday from
something. I switched to my test installation of openSUSE 11.3 RC1 and have
not experienced any problems so far with cups so maybe its gone, also uses
different PPD. I will give it a few days If it comes back I will open a new
thread.

Thanks again.