Can't access spool folder

Daniel Stoeck trashmay at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 29 08:20:23 PDT 2010

> Daniel Stoeck wrote:
>
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I am using Helge Blischke's prtofile backend and when I try to print I get
> > an error message like this: "/private/var/spool/cups/c00061: No such file
> > or directory"
> >
> > /private/var/spool/cups has 710 permissions and belongs to root:_lp
> > /private/var/spool/cups/c00061 has 600 permissions and belongs to root:_lp
> > (61 is the jobid)
> >
> > Obviously the printer cannot spool into its spool directory. But how can I
> > avoid this permission issue?
> >
> > The backend has 700 permissions to make it run as root.
> > The Device_URI is "prtofile:///Volumes/MacHD/output/ps/"
> > The given PPD is the common Adobe Distiller PPD
> >
> > Why does the printer not have permission to write into its spool folder?
> > Can I just change the permissions of the spool folder to anything else to
> > fix this?
> >
> > Greetings from Germany,
> > Daniel
>
> Hi Daniel,
>
> I suppose on Snow Leopard, CUPS and/or components of it are running in a
> sandbox.
> Search your system for things like cupsd.sb or xxx.sb (xxx the name of one
> of the standard backends of CUPS) and use that as a template for a sandbox
> profile for prtofile. The current version needs read access to the CUPS
> spool directory to get the value of the job-originating-hostname attribute.
>
> If you are not sure what to do, you could mail the sb files of interest for
> me to look into.
>
> Helge

Hi Helge,

I found /usr/share/sandbox/ as the default folder for sandbox profiles on my Snow Leopard Server. There are several *.sb files in this folder, but I cannot identify one that belongs to cups. (to duplicate it for the custom backend).

A list of all *.sb profiles I found:

bsd.sb
mDNSResponder.sb
quicklookd-job-creation.sb
xgridagentd_task_nobody.sb
cvmsCompAgent.sb
mds.sb
quicklookd.sb
xgridagentd_task_somebody.sb
cvmsServer.sb
mdworker.sb
serialnumberd.sb
xgridcontrollerd.sb
fontmover.sb
named.sb
sshd.sb
kadmind.sb
ntpd.sb
syslogd.sb
krb5kdc.sb
portmap.sb
xgridagentd.sb

Do I just need read access to the parent directory of my spool folder? Nothing else?

Daniel