[cups.general] Can't access spool folder

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Wed Jun 30 09:01:21 PDT 2010

On Jun 30, 2010, at 8:33 AM, Helge Blischke wrote:
> According to the source code in scheduLER/process.c (cups 1.4.4), read
> access to the spool directory is generally denied and, for the current job,
> reading only the data file is allowed.
>
> Shall I file a bug for this?

The specific rule for accessing spool files is:

  if (job_id)
    cupsFilePrintf(fp,
                   "(allow file-read-data file-read-metadata\n"
                   "  (regex #\"^%s/([ac]%05d|d%05d-[0-9][0-9][0-9])$\"))\n",
                   request, job_id, job_id);

which means any aNNNNNN (authentication data), cNNNNNN (control file), or dNNNNNN-MMM (job data) file in the spool directory where NNNNNN is the job ID.

If the backend is getting a sandboxd deny message when accessing the control file for that job or if the backend is unable to read the control file for that job, that would be a bug worth reporting.  However, we don't recommend reading the control files directly since the format (and location) are subject to change and are not part of the filter/backend interface we support.