[cups.development] [printing-driver] Canon CAPT driver - WORK IN PROGRESS

Alexey Galakhov agalakhov at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 23:49:26 PDT 2010

On 06/10/2010 11:09 PM, Hin-Tak Leung wrote:
> It has been years since I looked at that stuff. There used to be some japanese-only pages for patching ghostscript . google is your friend.
>
> How about these pages?
> http://cweb.canon.jp/drv-upd/lasershot/drv_linux.html

Unfirtunately this driver is not completely open-source. The main engine
is a binary executable file. Only helper functions and CUPS bridge are
GPLed. The binary-only kernel (captfilter) expects a pnm file on stdin
and converts it to the CAPT stream.

I found a way to run that binary main engine from scripts to
reverse-engineer its output. The analysis is almost entirely built on
this binary-only driver.