error compiling cups-1.4.3 on Solaris/SPARC 5.10

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Mon Jun 21 07:24:44 PDT 2010

> > I've had better experience with GCC 3.4.3 on Solaris 10, but I remember
> > there were a few headers I had to fix by hand - mostly incompatible typedefs
> > from different headers or missing typedefs as certain headers weren't
> > included.
> >
> > Probably aou need a couple of hours research to fix that.
> >
> > Helge
> >

> I have now installed gcc 3.4.6 and I have to fix/edit by hand the file
> /usr/include/kerberosv5/krb5.h (there was one } to much).
>
> Now the linking stops with:
>
> Making all in scheduler...
> Linking cupsd...
> PORT_GetError                       dirsvc.o  (symbol belongs to implicit dependency /usr/lib/mps/libnss3.so)
> ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to cupsd
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> gmake[1]: *** [cupsd] Error 1
> gmake: *** [all] Error 1

I finally have it up and running; to summarize, the problems have:

1. damaged header file in SunOS /usr/include/kerberosv5/krb5.h (there
was one } to much)

2. LDAP support did not link; workaround:
$ ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/ --disable-ldap

3. resulting binaries (i.e. cupsd) say: "file has insecure interpreter
ELF"; workaround: run #gmake install
without 'strip' in $PATH

Matthias