[cups.development] Diablo emulation

Philip Prindeville philipp at redfish-solutions.com
Mon Jun 21 16:36:01 PDT 2010

Hi.

This might be a little off-topic, but I figure that you'd all appreciate
the endeavor and have a pretty wide breadth of knowledge.

I'm working for a museum (indirectly... can't give a lot of detail about
the project because of an NDA until it's completed) to build a simulator
of the Xerox PARC Alto (to give people perspective on just how
groundbreaking the Alto was).  Right now I'm staring at the problem of
printing.

I just grepped through the foomatic database for Diablo and didn't find
anything noteworthy just that the Okidata OL830Plus apparently did
Diablo 630 emulation in addition to PS + PCL.

Anyone know what the shortest path would be for cobbling up some sort of
converter from a Diablo datastream to PS, PCL, or PDF (or even
raster/bitmap)?  Any resources for this project would be awesome.

Thanks,

-Philip