[cups.general] Errors sending large numbersofdocuments toprinter

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Thu Mar 4 13:19:17 PST 2010

On Mar 4, 2010, at 12:46 PM, John Lussmyer wrote:
> Michael Sweet wrote:
>>
>> Let me know how that works out - you could be running into a file =
>> descriptor limit (too many open files) that can yield failed jobs =
>> without the usual logging.
>>

> Adding delays isn't what I would call a good solution though.

But it will help us determine what (and where) the problem is - right now you have a symptom but not the cause...

> It still won't handle the case of the printer just being out of paper for 12 hours.
> Does CUPS have special handling for printers that have their own spool space, and happily spool jobs internally?  One of the printers we are having this problem with has a big HD and spools jobs to it.
> We are wondering if the CUPS/Printer communications handles the case when the printers internal spool space fills.

CUPS normally only spools one job at a time to a printer.  As for a printer running out of its own spool space, we depend on the printer to report that error back, which only works for LPD or IPP (and better with IPP since it can actually report what the error is rather than just success/fail...)