Proxy CUPS server.

Dean Montgomery dmonty at sd73.bc.ca
Fri Mar 5 18:33:24 PST 2010

I can't figure out how to get a diskless client to use printers that have been relayed from once cups server to another cups server between buildings/subnets. e.g.

== CUPS Server BuildingA 192.168.0.9 ==

Firewall

== CUPS Server BuildingB 10.101.0.8 ==

== Diskless client (no cups server only client.conf) ==

* The diskless client can see all the printers in BuldingA and BuildingB but can only print to BuildingB printers. BuildingA printers get rejected: Print-Job client-error-not-authorized. e.g.
 echo "test from diskless client" | lpr -P BuildingAprinter
 lpr: The printer or class is not shared!

* The Cups-BuildingB automatically detects and can print to all printers hosted in BuildingA. e.g.
 echo "test from BuildingB CUPS" | lpr -P BuildingAprinter
 # WORKS!
 # BrowsePoll and BrowseRelay are used setup in cups-buildingB cupsd.conf

* The printer listings on Cups-BuildingB obtained from Cups-BuildingA show "not published"

* It may be related to cups not being able to re-publish remote printers:
  http://cups.org/str.php?L3181

How can I get diskless clients to access printers from both cups servers without installing a full cups server on every client.

It will work if I manually create a print queue on cups-buildingB that points to cups-buildingA but this is time consuming - I'd rather just setup the print queue once on one cups server and have it automatically available on all other cups servers and cups clients.