Cups install

JimDrummond clandrummond at hotmail.co.uk
Tue Mar 16 13:44:15 PDT 2010

hp psc 1300 printer doesn't work, udated hplip no effect, wanted to update cups but I am a recent migrant from windows and as far as I am concerned the well written and informative information in the install.txt document is complete gibberish.

I have no idea if half the programs mentioned c++ compiler etc are part of Ubuntu 9.10 or not, nor do I have a damn clue what to do with them, not being a programmer.

It seems I have three choices, get used to the fact that cups cant run my printer even with hplip helping it out, go to university for a masters degree in computer science so that I can install a cups update, or go back to windows which will have my printer running in around 5 minutes and all I will have to do is plug it in the back of the pc.

Interested to know your views, is Linux o/s and so cups, still the private preserve of programmers or are all welcome, if its the latter how the hell are the uninitiated like myself supposed to manage?

Many Thanks