text printing wrapping after 83 characters - RHEL v5.4 - laser printer - postscript drivers

Charles Kaltwasser kaltwacl at co.cal.md.us
Thu Mar 18 13:29:40 PDT 2010

Found the answer (see Bug 316461 at bugzilla.redhat.com).  Problem is caused by the texttopaps filter in RHEL v5.   Work around is to use the old texttops filter.

Create the file "local.convs" in /etc/cups which contains the following line:
   text/plain         application/postscript   33    texttops

(This is a better solution than modifying the original mime.convs file which will be overwritten if a new version of cups is installed.)

Reload the CUPS server:    /sbin/service cups reload