[cups.general] Mac can't distinguish between identical Zebra printers with EPL2 driver...?

Henri Shustak henri.shustak at gmail.com
Sun Mar 21 14:24:45 PDT 2010

> I have two Zebra TLP3842 label printers I want to attach via simple wired USB using the EPL2 v1.3 CUPS driver on an iMAC (OS X 10.5.8). They will be printing to different label types so are effectively different printers from my perspective. Apparently, the Mac sees both printers as identical so, although I can set a print queue up for one, I simply get the "A printer queue already exists, etc, etc..." pop-up when trying to do the same for the other. Is there a way of changing the names of the printers so the Mac can distinguish between them? I read somewhere that the Mac ties the name AND serial number together to get a unique printer name but that doesn't seem to be happening.
>
> I know I can change the name of the printer after I've chosen it from the list of printers the Mac 'sees' but this doesn't change the 'orginal' printer name in the vailable list.
>
> Not really a CUPS question but any help/advice gratefully received.

The problem is that changing the name within the Mac OS X System Preferences is not actually changing the CUPS queue name. Rather this is changing the CUPS print queue description.

If you set one of these devices up and then use the CUPS web interface <http://127.0.0.1:631> you should be able to find the device URL listed. If you copy this URL. You could then delete the CUPS queue for this printer and create a new queue with a different name. Creating the CUPS queue for the second printer should then work.

If you want an easy way to set this up in the future, then you may wish to consider having a look at PrinterSetup. With PrinterSetup you will be able to create a Apple Package install for these queues with correct names all setup : <http://www.lucidsystems.org/printingworks/printersetup>

This email is protected by LBackup, an open source backup solution.
http://www.lbackup.org