Epson 3000 44" page length limit

Glenn glennrbarry at optusnet.com.au
Tue Mar 23 21:45:43 PDT 2010

HI all,

Not sure if this is the right forum, but here goes...

I'm trying to get eliminate the 44 inch page length limit printing to an Epson 3000 with the Gutenprint (5.2.5) driver via CUPS.

I've edited the Epson 3000 PPD file cups uses to increase the limit 846000 points (1200 inches) and also the XML file gutenprint uses to define the page length limit for the 3000.

I've succeeded in making a custom page with a length over 44 inches long and a test document in Scribus and generated a PDF from that. Then printed the PDF.

The catch is it prints fine, but cuts out at 44 inches and ejects the rest of the page.

Other programs I've tried like photoprint won't allow me to actually define a page length over 44", it defaults back to 44" if I go over. I don't know where that limit is coming from.

I've compiled and installed Gutenprint 5.2.5 from source after changing the XML file.

CUPS is version 1.4.1, though I am about to try and compile 1.4.2 from source.

I am assuming that the CUPS driver is feeding the page sizes. (happy to be wrong on this)

I'm not sure where in the CUPS source to look for what to change to remove the limitation.

Thanks

Glenn