Job hold and release using printer's own hardware

John A. Murdie john at cs.york.ac.uk
Fri Mar 26 11:22:12 PDT 2010

> Is there a solution which permits held CUPS jobs to be released using a printer's own hardware? ...

Partly to answer my own question, this is possible (second method) with the Ricoh Windows drivers, whose associated print drivers offer the job option of 'PIN protection', and job release with that PIN at the MFD front panel. The one Mac OS X Ricoh driver I've seen offers 'Print on hold' without PIN.

Any Linux solution - which is what I'm actually after - would require an equivalent addition to Linux applications' print dialogues as well as underlying CUPS print options. I've not seen anything like this so far, though perhaps have not looked hard enough.

John A. Murdie