[cups.general] please help to Upgrade CUPS from 1.3.11 to 1.4.2

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Sun Mar 28 08:57:30 PDT 2010

On Mar 28, 2010, at 6:41 AM, Helge Blischke wrote:
> Michael Sweet wrote:
>
> [...]
>> However, I highly recommend using the
>> source code from darwinsource since you can render a system unable to boot
>> if you build CUPS with the wrong architectures.
>
> Could you please try to explain that? I'd understand that one can render
> the printing system unusable - but unable to boot?

You'll boot but wouldn't be able to login from the console - the loginwindow application, along with many of the standard application frameworks, are linked against libcups.  If libcups doesn't have the right architectures then those applications and frameworks will fail to load...

Remote login (ssh) would continue to work, so you can repair the installation from another system (I speak from experience... :)