can't force job-sheets setting

Jonathan H N Chin jc254 at newton.ac.uk
Tue Mar 30 07:51:27 PDT 2010

I have a debian lenny with cups 1.3.8 and a client running solaris 10u8.

Both cupsd and solaris can generate banners, so there may
be two for a given job.

I set up the queue on solaris with:
lpadmin -s ipp://DEBIAN/printers/PRINTER -n MYPPD -o banners=never

This option prevents solaris generating its own banner.

On debian I set up the cups queue with: JobSheets none none

A naive user might hope that this will prevent cups printing
a banner. However it only sets the default; the client can
still override this setting.

Watching the network traffic between solaris and cupsd,
it turns out that something (presumably in the guts of the
solaris PAPI implementation) causes solaris to include a
job-sheets setting:

  00 01 42 00 0a 6a 6f 62    2d 73 68 65 65 74 73 00    ..B..job-sheets.
  08 73 74 61 6e 64 61 72    64 41 00 19 6a 6f 62 2d    .standardA..job-

and cupsd uses this setting in preference to the default.

There appears to be no easy way to make cupsd ignore it.

I attempted to make the "standard" banner print no pages,
but this simply causes jobs to fail.

I tried removing the "standard" banner entirely, but this
also causes jobs to fail.

>From the documentation it seemed that if I could find the
correct values of "Classification" and "ClassifyOverride",
perhaps I could force the banner to be "none" but I couldn't
find any combination that did this.

I edited the cupsd binary and changed "job-sheets" into
gibberish which works but is clearly unmaintainable.
(I could equally have edited the source and rebuilt.)

Is there really no simple way to force a particular (or no) banner?

-jonathan

--
 Jonathan H N Chin   | deputy computer | Newton Institute, Cambridge, UK
<jc254 at newton.ac.uk> | systems manager | tel/fax: +44 1223 767091/330508