Multiple Reports under one job number stymie printer <edsmith>

ed smith ed.smith at mcquay.com
Wed Mar 31 07:47:00 PDT 2010

Greetings,

Recently migrated NC application from 1990's Jetadmin/Solaris 8 platform to CUPS 1.2.6/Solaris 10. Some scripts result in creating a single control file and multiple "d" files under one job number:

bash-3.00# ls -l |grep 6009
-rw-------   1 root     nobody       651 Mar 30 10:29 c06009
-rw-r-----   1 root     nobody     60092 Mar 22 13:22 d04487-001
-rw-r-----   1 root     nobody      2618 Mar 30 10:21 d06009-001
-rw-r-----   1 root     nobody      7950 Mar 30 10:21 d06009-002
-rw-r-----   1 root     nobody      6574 Mar 30 10:21 d06009-003
-rw-r-----   1 root     nobody      2618 Mar 30 10:21 d06009-004
-rw-r-----   1 root     nobody     11872 Mar 30 10:21 d06009-005
-rw-r-----   1 root     nobody      6669 Mar 30 10:21 d06009-006
-rw-r-----   1 root     nobody     64780 Mar 30 10:21 d06009-007
-rw-r-----   1 root     nobody     47291 Mar 30 10:21 d06009-008

Printer either prints first job and ignores remaining, or gets stuck on first job, holding up the printer. Have to cancel and lp each file separately. These are usually 1 page plots. I have advised users to use an alternative script that only creates a single report. However, to be thorough, is there a way to get CUPS to print all of these without intrervention? Shouldn't it be a simple thing? I truly don't know.

Thanks!
Best,
Ed Smith