Multiple Reports under one job number stymie printer <edsmith>

ed smith ed.smith at mcquay.com
Wed Mar 31 11:51:28 PDT 2010

> ed smith wrote:
>
> > Greetings,
> >
> > Recently migrated NC application from 1990's Jetadmin/Solaris 8 platform
> > to CUPS 1.2.6/Solaris 10. Some scripts result in creating a single control
> > file and multiple "d" files under one job number:
> >
> > bash-3.00# ls -l |grep 6009
> > -rw-------   1 root     nobody       651 Mar 30 10:29 c06009
> > -rw-r-----   1 root     nobody     60092 Mar 22 13:22 d04487-001
> > -rw-r-----   1 root     nobody      2618 Mar 30 10:21 d06009-001
> > -rw-r-----   1 root     nobody      7950 Mar 30 10:21 d06009-002
> > -rw-r-----   1 root     nobody      6574 Mar 30 10:21 d06009-003
> > -rw-r-----   1 root     nobody      2618 Mar 30 10:21 d06009-004
> > -rw-r-----   1 root     nobody     11872 Mar 30 10:21 d06009-005
> > -rw-r-----   1 root     nobody      6669 Mar 30 10:21 d06009-006
> > -rw-r-----   1 root     nobody     64780 Mar 30 10:21 d06009-007
> > -rw-r-----   1 root     nobody     47291 Mar 30 10:21 d06009-008
> >
> > Printer either prints first job and ignores remaining, or gets stuck on
> > first job, holding up the printer. Have to cancel and lp each file
> > separately. These are usually 1 page plots. I have advised users to use an
> > alternative script that only creates a single report. However, to be
> > thorough, is there a way to get CUPS to print all of these without
> > intrervention? Shouldn't it be a simple thing? I truly don't know.
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Best,
> > Ed Smith
>
> Tell some more details about the application in question.How does it
> generate the print job(s)? Did you use an interface script on the old
> system? If yes, try to port it to the new system.
>
> Helge

Upon further investigation, I found that the simple command from the command line produces thusly:

$ lp -d myprinter textfile1 textfile2 textfile3
All prints fine as d000<samejobnumber>-001,-002,-003

But if I print files that are plots:
$ lp -d myprinter plotfile1 plotfile2 plotfile3

The first printjob (...-001) prints fine, but then the printer hangs, with message "printer is ready", and the next 2 jobs don't print. I have to cancle the 1st job off the printer, even tho the report is complete.

I am using a foomatic filter including the plot filter line:

*cupsFilter:    "application/vnd.cups-postscript 0 foomatic-rip"
*cupsFilter:    "application/vnd.cups-web 0 -"
*cupsFilter:    "application/hp-HPGL 0 hpgltops"  ( <------- plot filter)

So we're not just talking cups anymore, thought I was. We have alot of older printers that don't have PS, and foo has helped us. there are other types of reports besides plot that are working fine.

Thanks,
Ed Smith