CUPS company case report

Arthur Turrini arthur at armateus.com.br
Wed Mar 31 17:33:01 PDT 2010

Hi,

I want to share our case with CUPS printing.

I'm Arthur Turrini, sysadmin of Mateus Group, and we've been using CUPS for
about 6 years, on Debian Linux servers with great success and performance.

Mateus Group is a chain of large department stores and warehouses located mainly
in Maranhão / Brazil.

CUPS v1.4.x is serving us 400+ printers from just one server to all our network,
mostly dot matrix/label printers (~70%) and the rest, laserjets and some rare deskjets.

We have aprox. 27 thousand jobs printed every day from this server, and CUPS
handle them very well. In one month, our top printing record reached ~1.1
milion of jobs.

The server that handle all these printing (using samba too, for jobs that comes
from windows machines), it's a simple HP Proliant G5 ML110 with 4gb RAM and 250
hd, running a lot of other services too.

Most of our printers are dot matrix from Epson, laserjets/deskjets from
HP/Lexmark and label printers from Datamax, Argox and Zebra.

Our CPU usage is near 2~5%, and memory usage near 600mb only with CUPS (in high usage). We also do a lot of "to PDF" printing.

So CUPS for us is a big reality. It's a real, stable, rock solid and very fast printing system.

Thank you CUPS team!

Regards,

Arthur Turrini.

(sorry about my english)