[cups.development] PJL for PCL printer

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Wed Mar 3 08:56:01 PST 2010

On Mar 3, 2010, at 8:45 AM, Matthew O'Donnell wrote:
> Is it possible to include PJL commands in the output for a PCL printer using CUPS?

Using the rastertopclx driver or your own creation, yes, however you won't use the JCL keywords in the PPD file since those embed JCL commands in PostScript output...

> I am attempting to produce a PPD file for use with CUPS for a PCL printer. Some settings of the printer are device dependant and the easiest way to set them is using PJL. I realise that (most) Linux apps ouput using PS, which is then converted to CUPS raster, and then to PCL through CUPS filters. Unfortunately the output of the PPD when printing to file does not include any PJL.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions? Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Take a look at the old CUPS DDK documentation on the rastertopclx driver (I still need to add it to the CUPS developer documentation...):

    http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/doc-other/cupsddk.html#4_2