PJL for PCL printer

Matthew O'Donnell matthew.odonnell at okiuk.co.uk
Tue Mar 16 01:55:07 PDT 2010

> On Mar 3, 2010, at 8:45 AM, Matthew O'Donnell wrote:
> > Is it possible to include PJL commands in the output for a PCL printer =
> using CUPS?
>
> Using the rastertopclx driver or your own creation, yes, however you =
> won't use the JCL keywords in the PPD file since those embed JCL =
> commands in PostScript output...
>
> > I am attempting to produce a PPD file for use with CUPS for a PCL =
> printer. Some settings of the printer are device dependant and the =
> easiest way to set them is using PJL. I realise that (most) Linux apps =
> ouput using PS, which is then converted to CUPS raster, and then to PCL =
> through CUPS filters. Unfortunately the output of the PPD when printing =
> to file does not include any PJL.
> >=20
> > Does anyone have any suggestions? Any assistance would be much =
> appreciated.
>
> Take a look at the old CUPS DDK documentation on the rastertopclx driver =
> (I still need to add it to the CUPS developer documentation...):
>
>     http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/doc-other/cupsddk.html#4_2

Michael,

Thanks very much for this info, it was very helpful, my apologies for taking so long to reply.
I have still not quite mastered this - I am trying to issue device specific (Oki) PJL commands, and can only find a way to issue some standard PJL commands (e.g. @PJL SET RESOLUTION, @PJL SET PAPERWIDTH). Is there anyway to include a block of device specific PJL, without rewriting the rastertopclx.c filter?

BR,

Matthew