[cups.bugs] [MOD] STR #3530: Cups 1.4 on Ubuntu 9.10,auto configurationchanges default choice "A4" to "a4"

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 03:54:28 PDT 2010

On 03/17/2010 11:05 AM, Till Kamppeter wrote:
> CUPS supports libpaper natively already from version 1.1 on. libpaper
> delivers page sizes always all-lowercase, and CUPS seems to need them
> case-sensitively matching with what is written in the PPD files.
>
> Now I have a question: Do option and choice names have to match
> case-sensitively with the names in the PPD? Do the Adobe specs allow an
> option with different choices like "a4" and "A4"? If option and choice
> names are case-insensitive ("lpr -o pagesize=a3 file" would print the
> file on A3 paper) then CUPS would need to case-insensitively match the
> libpaper setting with the choices of the PPD file and select the
> appropriate choice from the PPD (here "A4").
>
> If the PPD specs allow the definition of different paper sizes, one
> named "a4" and the other named "A4" then we have really a bug in
> libpaper as then libpaper must deliver the page size names as "A4",
> "Letter", ... as "a4" and "letter" are (not yet standardized) different
> sizes.

If I change option defaults with "lpadmin", the option and choice names
are treated case-insensitively, see below.

So CUPS should also treat the page size setting from libpaper
case-insensitively. So CUPS needs to be fixed.

    Till

till at till:~/ubuntu/hplip/svn/pkg-hpijs/hplip/trunk$ lpoptions -p 1 -l
[...]
InputSlot/Media Source: *Default Tray1 Tray2 Tray3 Manual
[...]
till at till:~/ubuntu/hplip/svn/pkg-hpijs/hplip/trunk$ lpadmin -p 1 -o
inputslot=tray2