[cups.development] Changes of page sizes within a document

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Wed Mar 17 17:10:02 PDT 2010

On Mar 17, 2010, at 4:38 PM, R. Scott wrote:

>> Word does this...
>
> Then, please clarify something for me. If there is an application which does *not* intiate a new job to change orientation or media (like Word), then, how is the media and the orientation comunicated in to the filters?

For raster drivers, the size is part of the page header (cupsRasterReadHeader2) and the orientation is always matched to the media (so your filter and printer will never need to rotate on their own).

For PostScript/PDF drivers, you have to look at the print data to see the page size changes. Again, we do the orientation changes when generating the print data.

> Your previous response mentioned that the filter needed to obtain orientation from the PDF or PS, for if the document changed to orientation or paper size. I don't believe this informaiton to be in the PDF file. (other then /MediaBox and /Rotate)

MediaBox is the key to look at, exclusively.

> I assume that there is no way to print a document that the 5th page switches to the manual input tray?

Currently no.