CUPS backend issue writing to file

Daniel Stoeck trashmay at googlemail.com
Mon May 3 14:57:32 PDT 2010

> Check the /var/log/cups/error_log file (available in the Console =
> utility, among other places) - cupsd will log the exact reason for the =
> failure there.

Thank you, Michael. You were so right. I just didn't realize the solution was there. Also reading "For security reasons, CUPS will only run filters and backends that are owned by root and do not have world write permissions." in the documentation told me, that I shouldn't give 777 permissions to a backend.

My backend itself works now. But I can only write my postscript files to /tmp/***.ps :( Is it possible to write elsewhere? When I try to write to paths like /var/mypostscripts/ it gives me pstops failed error messages. Is there a list of allowed paths to write?

Thank you very much :)
Daniel