Mixed page jobs in Adobe Illustrator

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Wed May 5 03:25:47 PDT 2010

Garry wrote:

> Hello, apologies if this is posted in the wrong place.
>
> I have a customer who regularly uses Illustrator (14) to produce mixed
> sized jobs, (IE containing both A4 and A3 pages), from his Mac.
>
> When he used Mac OS-X 10.3 he claims he was able to print these mixed
> sized jobs to his Ricoh printer, (Aficio MP C2500), and the different
> sizes would be printed no problem. Now he's upgraded to 10.6 he is unable
> to do this anymore, all the pages come out the same size depending on
> "page setup" settings. He swears blind that this worked fine before he
> upgraded his Mac.
>
> I've now tried this to a Ricoh, Sharp, Canon and OKI printers, and all
> exhibit the same symptoms, IE printing all on one page size.
>
> So my question is, has something changed in CUPS that has caused us to see
> this behaviour since 10.3?

To do some basic analysis, I'd need
(1) a sample job as created from Illustrator
(2) the portion of the cups error_log containing the messages
    related to this job, preferably under debug log level
(3) if possible, the file which goes to the printer.

Note that (3) will require either to configure a file device psdudo printer
using the same PPD as the original or the insertion of a cupsFilter in the
PPD specifying a script that dumps the final job to a file of your choice.

Probably I will recommend to file a bug, but I prefer to have a look into
the details before.

Helge