lpstat not reporting correct printer status

Alexander Lorenz Alexander.Lorenz at 4plus.de
Wed May 5 04:48:17 PDT 2010

Hi all,

we are using CUPS 1.3.11 on a Collax Business Server to manage printing.
To check check wether the printer status we want to use lpstat.
I guess lpstat -p should report the printer status, but on our systems it shows ever "idle", but not if there is a "paper jam" or "medi tray empty" error.
Can this be checked by lpstat or an other CUPS included tool??

BTW: We have no possibility to upgrade CUPS, because it is a special commerial Distribution.

Thanks in advance

Alex