Can't start CUPS - libcupsmime.so.1 error in Ubuntu 9.10 / read-only system

Christo christo.romberg at inga.fi
Thu May 6 03:50:03 PDT 2010

Hello,

I'm running a read-only system on Ubuntu 9.10 consisting of a union mount (aufs used) with a tmpfs mount.
There's a "backend" system which is consistent (no union). So I've installed CUPS in the "backend" and it start fine there. However, when I boot into the read-only system and try to start CUPS with "etc/init.d/cups start", I get the following error:

<i>/usr/svin/cupsd: error while loading shared libraries: libcupsmime.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory</i>

I don't have any knowledge of the architecture of CUPS so I'm kinda' clueless on this one. All other software I tested works fine in this environment.

Any help is appreciated!