[cups.general] Printer specific options command line

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Fri May 7 03:31:34 PDT 2010

Hello,

On May 7 02:22 Yoni Millen wrote (shortened):
> I want to print via command line to a network-printer.
> But I have to change some printer-specific options, like the tray, when I print.
> The general options aren't hard to set (-o media=A4, ...) but I don't know
> how I can set the printer-specific options via command line?
> beheerder at server-PSSD-ubuntu:~$ lpoptions -p RICOH_Aficio_MP_9000 -l
> InputSlot/InputSlot: 1Tray 2Tray 3Tray 4Tray 5Tray 6Tray 7Tray *Auto
> OutputBin/Destination: *Default FinProof FinShift PlockmaticTray FinBooklet

The output has the following syntax:

   main-keyword/translation-string: option-keyword option-keyword ...

The default setting is marked with an '*' preceding the "option-keyword".

To set particular printer-specific options via command line
use the "-o main-keyword=option-keyword" syntax like in

   lp -d RICOH_Aficio_MP_9000 -o InputSlot=3Tray -o OutputBin=FinShift

Regarding "main-keyword", "translation-string", and "option-keyword"
see the "Adobe PostScript Printer Description File Format Specification"
or you may have a look at some shorter description like "PPD Files" in
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:CUPS_in_a_Nutshell

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex