[cups.general] Can't start CUPS - libcupsmime.so.1 error inUbuntu 9.10 / read-only system

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Fri May 7 07:45:00 PDT 2010

On May 6, 2010, at 11:07 PM, Christo wrote:
> I've checked /usr/lib and it contains these files:
> - libcups.so.2
> - libcupscgi.so.1
> - libcupsdriver.so.1
> - libcupsimage.so.2
> - libcupsmime.so.1
> - libcupsppdc.so.1
>
> Nothing seems to be missing - same files are in the read/write environment and CUPS works fine there.
>
> I've changed permissions to full access on these files to see if it had any difference, but same result. I've replaced the file with new ones from a live CD, no luck.
>
> This seems to be an issue in CUPS and not Ubuntu - Ubuntu and all software works without problems in the read-only area, and CUPS does not. Is CUPS unable to operate in an these protected environments?

CUPS has no problem with that.  The error clearly indicates that the run-time linker (ld.so on Linux) is not able to find the library in /usr/lib, or the library in /usr/lib is not the same architecture as the cupsd executable itself.  Both of these are packaging issues - the dependencies between packages could be wrong, the packages could be bad, the build could have been done wrong, or some other issue is preventing the right bits from being installed or recognized by the system.

In any case, you got CUPS from Ubuntu.  You need to ask the Ubuntu folks for help...