[cups.general] RHEL 5 - upgrade from 1.3.7 to 1.4.2?

Tim Waugh twaugh at redhat.com
Mon May 10 03:31:16 PDT 2010

On Sun, 2010-05-09 at 13:11 -0700, Shannon Adams wrote:
> We are running RHEL 5 and are on CUPS 1.3.7.  yum updates provide
> updates up to 1.3.7.  Is that because the latest version of CUPS is
> not "certified" by RH yet for RHEL 5?  Is it safe to manually upgrade
> CUPS to the latest version under RHEL 5?  Thanks for any advice.

Red Hat Enterprise Linux does not just track the very latest upstream
releases.  Instead, fixes (and occasionally features) are individually
targeted, backported, and tested before being rolled into the next
update.

Typically, if a package is ever switched to a newer version, it is
because a required feature is too large/invasive to be back-ported.

Is there a specific bug-fix or feature you need that is not in the
current Red Hat Enterprise Linux package?

Tim.
*/