Printing a pdf with pages of different sizes

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Tue May 11 09:02:47 PDT 2010

Stavros wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a Xerox DocumentCenter 555 printer and I need to use CUPS as a
> printer server. The printer can automatically switch between different
> trays (A4/A3) according to the paper size. I use as a test the pdf from
> http://launchpadlibrarian.net/21465142/combined.pdf
>
> Using a postscript ppd for Xerox Document Centre 535/545/555, combined.pdf
> prints as it should on 2 A3 and 2 A4 papers ( lpr -P myprinter
> combined.pdf ).
>
> Using Foomatic/ljet4 and having as default A3 paper size the A4 landscape
> prints on A3 portrait leaving empty space in the bottom. Using
> Foomatic/ljet4 and having as default A4 paper size the A3 landscape prints
> on A4 portrait and gets cropped. The other 3 pages print perfectly.
>
> The same strange behaviour happens if I try to print a one page landscape
> PDF. So there seems to be a problem with landscape printouts that are not
> of the default media size.
>
> Since in my scenario postscript is very slow and since I cannot explicity
> specify media size can you suggest something else?
>
> Thank you

AFAIK, you need to use the poppler based pdftops filter, which is to my
knowledge the only one which honours different page sizes within the same
job. Or, if you have a system whith neither Xpdf's or poppler's pdftops
utility, the cups filter uses Ghostscript, which will honour different page
sizes as well.

Helge