waiteof option either causes network busy or doesn't work (delay on job sending)

Paul heywood.uk at googlemail.com
Fri May 14 05:56:46 PDT 2010

On both the 1.3 and 1.4 CUPS Documentation it states that when using the AppSocket (JetDirect) protocol, the waiteof option can be set to false to prevent the socket backend waiting for a print job to finish.

I tried this on 1.4 by setting DeviceURI socket://10.100.3.15?waiteof=false and it seemed to make no difference, jobs were still spaced around 5s apart.

I also tried this on 1.3 but it caused the error "network host <ip> is busy" (I'm guessing placing it after the port in printers.conf magled the address somehow).

Can anyone tell me either what I'm doing wrong or if there is another solution to the problem of CUPS waiting 5s before completing a job.  My printer is a raw text queue and needs not to wait for the job to be completed before the next one is sent.

Thanks.

Paul.