Using CUPS with PHP for network printing

Nan Meng movingon_meng at hotmail.com
Tue May 18 11:55:40 PDT 2010

We have a web site in our office to print work orders on the printers. The web site is written in PHP. We use CUPS to manage the printers.

We're using the "phpcups" extension in PHP to send printing jobs to CUPS printers. It was working well until we switched the IP addresses for our office network. The printers are still work fine with CUPS, but it seems like PHP script is no longer able to talk to CUPS.

In the "phpcups" PHP extension, we're using a function called "cups_print_file" which accepts four arguments: the name of the printer (i.e. canon), the file to print, the print job name, and additional print options. Again, the function was working fine, but now it's giving error code 1282. I cannot find any useful information from the web about this "phpcups" extension, or the error code, and I don't have any documentation here for it either.

So, I'm hoping someone here would be able to help and give me some ideas on how to solve this problem.

Thanks in advance.