[cups.bugs] unwanted Supplies Levels pages printing from Snow Leopard

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Mon May 3 09:35:46 PDT 2010

On May 3, 2010, at 9:10 AM, Ed Berger wrote:
> I run cupsd and cups-lpd on a virtual linux server for departmental printing spooling needs for various public laser printers.
>
> Since some of my Mac OS users have upgraded to snow leopard, they've been unexpectedly printing out 1 page jobs titled "Supplies Levels".  At first I noticed the lpd jobs, so I hacked scheduler/cups-lpd.c to drop those jobs automagically, then I noticed the ipp ones coming in...
>
> I was running a very old version of CUPS, so I updated to the 1.4.3 version, but the problem remains.  Is there supposed to be a mime.types/mime.convs and filter program that does some magic to support the new MacOS and these job requests, and suppress printing out the unwanted pages?

OK, so these will be application/vnd.cups-command file jobs.  You can comment out the cupsCommands and cupsFilter (for that type) lines from the PPD files to eliminate these jobs, but they should *never* produce any output.  If they do, that's a bug (either in the driver, or for a PostScript printer in the CUPS commandtops filter...)