[cups.general] CUPS media size selection from Windows.

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Mon Nov 1 10:38:31 PDT 2010

Matías Teplitzky wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I've setup a print server using cups + samba using the "point & click"
> approach as described in the "Classical
> printing support" section of the official "Samba howto collection"
> document [1]. I've already configured several
> network printers that are used by windows clients. That is working
> fine so far, except for the following issue:
> it happen to be that when Windows users choose the media size (A4,
> letter, executive, whatever), CUPS seems to ignore
> that setup so it always print according the media size configured in
> CUPS. In other words, if a user choose to print
> on executive but CUPS is setup with A4, it will print on A4. Is there
> a way to configure CUPS so that it respects the
> users choice?.
>
> Some other information that might be relevant:
>
> * The print server is using Debian Lenny.
>
> * Packages: cups (1.3.8-1), samba (3.2.5).
>

> I will appreciate any given tip or hint to solve this.
>

> Thanks in advance!.
>
> Cheers.

I suspect your CUPS is using the PostScript -> PDF -> ... loopway instead of
the default CUPS workflow, and your printer is probably configured using the
foomatic-rip as the last filter.

The easiest way to settle this issue is to specify "raw" as the cups
printing option in SAMBA. Then all print job configuring is handled within
Windows, and CUPS only passes the final job directly to the printer.

Helge