[cups.general] printers.conf - Attributes

Matt LaPlante mattl at google.com
Tue Nov 2 11:30:44 PDT 2010

When making automated backups of printers.conf, ideally one wants to filter
out any non-essential or dynamic fields to prevent unnecessary churn in the
backup jobs.  I've noticed that with the upgrade to 1.4, several new fields
appear to be "informational" and not part of the manual configuration.
 marker-change-time
and marker-levels seem to be the ones most constantly changing, but I'm not
sure that anything given under "Attribute" is actually necessary to
preserve.  Is this accurate?  Are there any cases where an Attribute line
would be something entered by the administrator, or is it always limited to
dynamic informational data?  Is it safe to just prune out all ^Attribute
lines without risking losing configuration data?

-
M@