CUPS Configuration in Linux/Mac

Steve Johnson steve9199 at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 3 07:33:47 PDT 2010

Hey Gang-

I work as a copier technician, and we have a situation I'm hoping you can help with. I repair and network Canon copiers, and we have a couple of schools here in the US that have added some Mac computers (OS 10.6). The copiers they're running (Canon ImageRunner 5000) have stopped print driver support as of Mac OS 10.5, so I'm attempting to use CUPS as a workaround. Printing isn't an issue normally, but they're using the Canon "Job Accounting" feature to track usage, and that's where my problem lies. This is not a problem for any Windows OS machines, as drivers are available all the way through Win 7.

I have Linux Mint (Debian/Ubuntu derivative)installed on my laptop, and am trying to configure one of the copiers here in the office with CUPS before I hit the field, and had no problem installing the copier on my computer. However, when I attempt to query printer for default options I get the following error message

"Unsupported format 'application/vnd.cups-command'!"

Does anyone have an idea of how to get past this point so I can save my company a lot of money by not having to replace machines?

Thanks in advance... Steve