CUPS Configuration in Linux/Mac

Steve Johnson steve9199 at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 4 05:59:58 PDT 2010

> On Nov 3, 2010, at 7:33 AM, Steve Johnson wrote:
> > Hey Gang-
> >=20
> > I work as a copier technician, and we have a situation I'm hoping you =
> can help with. I repair and network Canon copiers, and we have a couple =
> of schools here in the US that have added some Mac computers (OS 10.6). =
> The copiers they're running (Canon ImageRunner 5000) have stopped print =
> driver support as of Mac OS 10.5, so I'm attempting to use CUPS as a =
> workaround. Printing isn't an issue normally, but they're using the =
> Canon "Job Accounting" feature to track usage, and that's where my =
> problem lies. This is not a problem for any Windows OS machines, as =
> drivers are available all the way through Win 7.
>
> If you already have the PPD files, there is no reason you can't use them =
> with Mac OS X.
>
> > I have Linux Mint (Debian/Ubuntu derivative)installed on my laptop, =
> and am trying to configure one of the copiers here in the office with =
> CUPS before I hit the field, and had no problem installing the copier on =
> my computer. However, when I attempt to query printer for default =
> options I get the following error message
> >=20
> > "Unsupported format 'application/vnd.cups-command'!"
>
> What driver are you using?

Michael,

I'm using the Canon iR5000 Postscript driver.  I have no problems printing directly to the copier I'm working with, but the "Job Accounting" feature is the one thing I can't get to come up and that's what's holding us back.

If I can get Job Accounting turned on, then the rest of the configuration will be simple.  Thanks for the reply...

Steve