SOCKET Printing - 1 in 50 Labels get Printed. Others are Lost.

Anurag anurag.chourasia at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 11:36:58 PDT 2010

Hi All,

We have tried using Socket Protocol (instead of LPD as that had problems too.) for printing but the problem persists. Out of 100 Label print requests, only a few actually come out of the printer while the others are shown as completed successfully but nothing comes out of the printer.

I have also captured the logs using tcpdump for this scenario.

The log in http://paste.org/pastebin/view/22779 is when the print command was sent to the printer but nothing came out of the printer (Even though the JOB Was set to successful Status).

The log in http://paste.org/pastebin/view/22780 is when the print command was sent to the printer and a label came out of the printer well printed.

The IP of the printer is 10.15.98.14

The IP of the machine from where the command was sent is 10.0.157.86

There is a small difference in the logs. The logs when the label came out of the printer contains a line as below in the last communication between the two IPs.

11:51:58.652644 IP 10.15.98.14.jetdirect > 10.0.157.86.54743: R 2064334032:2064334032(0) win 0

This seems to be the printer telling something back to the Linux Machine. This communication is missing in the logs when the label did not come out of the printer.

I am not sure how to interpret this. From another Linux machine in the network, I am able to print successfully to this same physical printer using socket protocol.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Regards,
Anurag