Printing to Lightscribe in CUPS?

Dave Remkus remkus at wideopenwest.com
Wed Nov 10 11:30:05 PST 2010

I have a Lightscribe CD/DVD burner that I use fairly often to print from
Gentoo Linux AMD64.

I've been using the Lacie utilities to print labels, but I'm wondering
if anyone had ever pondered creating drivers for CUPS to handle
Lightscribe printing?

If I can create a BMP image, then the Lacie utilities can handle
printing the image onto the CD/DVD.   I'd guess that some of the
challenges in printing from CUPS would be registering the drive as a
print destination, handling the fixed size, setting a 'ready' status
based on whether or not a lightscribe-capable disc is in the drive,

I'm a CUPS user, but a newbie beyond that, so any guidance is appreciated.

Thanks