setting name of new printer

Stephen Isard suovmbg02 at sneakemail.com
Sat Nov 13 18:17:20 PST 2010

I'm running Cups 1.3.7 under Scientific Linux 5.5 (clone of RHEL 5.5).  I can successfully install a new printer (an Epson CX3810) from the Cups admin web interface using the "Find new printers" button.  Everything then works.  Very neat.

However, the default name offered by "Find new printers" is a bit long and unwieldy, so I tried deleting the printer and starting over, substituting a shorter name.  When I do that, I can print a test page from the web interface, but when I try to print actual files, nothing happens.  The job gets listed as completed in the log, but no printing gets done.  If I delete the printer and start over, using the default name, it's all fine again.  I've tried this several times, and it's reliable - when the printer has the default name, it works, but when it has a name that I give it myself, it doesn't work.  I choose the same driver in both cases.

I assume that this can't be intentional, or there wouldn't be an option of choosing the name yourself.  (Yes, I've restarted Cups each time I've installed a new printer, although I don't think it's actually necessary.)

Stephen Isard