[cups.general] Xerox workcentre pro c2128

Martin Schuster (IFKL IT OS DS CD) Martin.Schuster1 at infineon.com
Wed Nov 17 00:19:37 PST 2010

Hi Jeff!

[Cc'ing the list, maybe some of my ramblings might need corrections from
the gurus, maybe some are useful to others :) ]

On 11/16/2010 05:46 PM, Jeff (Jeffrey) Garner wrote:
> I am sorry to bother you again Martin, however when we attempt to
> print an 11x17 page it holds the job.  Currently we have the 11x17
> paper in tray 4.  The printer holds the job saying the user needs to
> interact and load the proper paper size.

Haven't seen that before. Few things to check:

* According to the webinterface of the printer, is Tray4 really loaded
  with 11x7?

* If you hav modified the PPD I sent you, use
  cupstestppd /etc/cups/ppd/printername.ppd
  to check for syntax errors

* Use a current version of cups (I think you said sth about 1.3.7? 1.4.5
  is current, and there've been some mediasize-related changes in the
  meantime)

* Try to manually run the pstops-filter (that's the one that applies the
  PPD):
  * Pause the printer (via the CUPS webinterface)
  * Print your testjob
    lp -o media=11x7 -d printer file.ps
    (output: request id is printer-35)
  * Manually call the pstops-filter:
    PPD=/etc/cups/ppd/printer.ppd /usr/lib/cups/filter/pstops 35 \
      joeuser pstopsTest 1 'media=11x7' /var/spool/cups/d00035-001 \
      > /tmp/out.ps
    (35 is the jobnr that gets returned by lp)
  and then check if the resulting /tmp/out.ps contains the necessary
  commands for setting the pagesize. (look for "11x7" :)

> Also, is it possible for me to change the Tabloid entry to 11x17
> instead of the usage of the word Tabloid?

I don't /exactly/ understand what you are trying to achieve. The PPD
says
  *PageRegion Tabloid/11 x 17": ...
where "Tabloid" is the PPD-internal name for this format; '11 x 17"' is
what should be displayed to the user.

But you can of course change "Tabloid" to e.g. "11x17" (iirc you are not
allowed to use spaces or quotes there), but then you have to make sure
that you change it everywhere in the file. And expect cupstestppd to
complain about a non-standard mediasize-name (shouldn't be a problem).

> some background info for you.  we are not loading local drivers on to
> the Windows Desktops.  The printer ppd on the CUPS server should be
> the only one controlling the printer, correct?

I'm no Windows-guy, but in Unix the client asks the server for the PPD,
so it knows which options to show to the user (e.g. mediasizes); it will
then send the job to the server, together with the desired opttions
(mediasize, duplex,...) and the server will use the PPD to apply those.

hth,
Infineon Technologies IT-Services GmbH   Martin.Schuster1 at infineon.com
Lakeside B05, 9020 Klagenfurt, Austria   Martin Schuster
         FB: LG Klagenfurt, FN 246787y   +43 5 1777 3517