[cups.general] Raw printing only for one printer

Ryan Suarez ryan.suarez at sheridanc.on.ca
Thu Nov 18 08:37:59 PST 2010

On 10-11-18 11:03 AM, Bryan J. Maupin wrote:
> 1. If to add a raw print queue I simply need to not specify a PPD,
> what is the "-m raw" option of lpadmin for?

My guess is that supplying '-m raw' removes a PPD from a queue, if one
exists.  You can create a queue without supplying a PPD, create another
one with '-m raw', and compare the two.

> 2. How do I set up Windows printers to be able to print raw?  The
> document I mentioned
> (http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/CUPS-printing.html#id2634124)
> says:
>
> "In the |smb.conf| file |[printers]| section add use client driver =
> Yes
> <http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/smb.conf.5.html#USECLIENTDRIVER>"
>
> However in my smb.conf file, I have this line commented out:
>
> ";    cups options = raw"
>
> Which is correct?

I suggest you consult the man pages on 'use client driver' and 'cups
options = raw' options for smb.conf.  Each have a different purpose.  As
I said, if you create a cups queue without a PPD (or specify '-m raw')
then the "cups options = raw" in smb.conf is no longer necessary.

> 3. The above approaches to raw printing via Samba seem to be all or
> nothing.  Is it possible for me to set up some print queues so that
> Windows will use the CUPS drivers and others so that Windows will use
> standard print drivers (raw)?

Consulting the man page for smb.conf will show that 'use client driver'
and 'cups options' can be set per (printer) share.  It is not all or
nothing.

afaik, if you have a cups queue with a PPD then that job will be
filtered.  A job that passes through a cups queue without a PPD will
print raw.