sending ip as part of printer uri

Wolfgang Rosenauer wrosenauer at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 03:31:56 PST 2010

Hi,

I have a small network at home with broken DNS setup. (It's not an
option to fix that since it would imply other unwanted changes.)
That means that the FQDN of my cups server cannot be resolved correctly
from other clients. The only ways for other computers to find the cups
server is via IP address, hostname only or by using
hostname.CUSTOM_DOMAIN where CUSTOM_DOMAIN is not the one configured on
the cups server.
Now the server is broadcasting my attached printer with its own
$(hostname -f) part in the ipp printer uri. So it's impossible for the
clients to print to that printer although it's visible.
I "only" need to tell the cups server to use the ip address or custom
fqdn in its broadcast packets but failed to find how to do it.
I tried setting ServerName to the ip address but that didn't work.

My cups version is 1.4.4 on Linux.

Any pointers?

Thanks,
 Wolfgang