[cups.bugs] [MOD] STR #3716: Possible DoS attack from Unknown

Matt L mattl at google.com
Thu Nov 11 19:42:56 PST 2010

[STR New]

1.4.3-1ubuntu1.3

I have witnessed several times in cups logs the following completely
unhelpful error:

"Possible DoS attack - more than 10 clients connecting from !"

First, the most obvious omission is that whatever variable is supposed to
be identifying the attacker is not working.  This makes finding the
trigger user/machine nearly impossible on the face of it.

I'm also concerned about what effect this feature may be having on the
operation of the server.  It does not appear to be an optional feature,
and without any means to identify the trigger cause, I would prefer to
disable it rather than risk it interfering with the availability of a
server under heavy legitimate use.

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L3716
Version: 1.4.3